Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A New Blogger, My Absence, and What to Expect From Sweet Potato Pie in the Coming Months


Hi,

First I'd like to welcome a new blogger, Miranda a.k.a. Gabby. She wrote the piece that I'm sure every over thirty woman can relate to about ones metabolism slowing down and it becoming increasingly difficult to keep the weight off as we agae. She's blogged over on my Brown Sugar blog and hopefully will become a regular here on Sweet Potato Pie.

Welcome Miranda!

Speaking of Brown Sugar, if you've been wondering where I've been, well, that's where. Ever since Obama won the Iowa Caucuses I've been blogging my life away. Who knew this political season was going to be so darn interesting? And as someone who was a hardcore political junkie who had lost that love and feeling for politics after 2000 and 2004 and only came out of hiding for the 2006 midterm elections, only to go back because the Dems still turned out to be such pansies, having a Black man and a woman running for president (with the Black man actually having a real shot) was a little too much for me to pass up blogging about.

Hell, even the Republican race has been a barrel of fun (read: hijinks and controversy) that lends itself to some good blog posts. Add school and some new writing gigs to the equation and something had to give, and that something was Sweet Potato Pie. However, I am back and no I don't plan on going on such an extended hiatus again anytime in the near future.

So what can you look forward to now that I'm back? Well I have a lot of new ideas for SPP that I plan on rolling out over the coming months. here's a preview:

1. More focus on other aspects of Black women's health. This is a health and fitness blog and black women aren't doing well in taking care of either of those areas of their lives, so look for more posts on mental, sexual and maybe even spiritual health.

2. Diet Fridays - Diet Fridays will be a bi-weekly series that focuses on the many diets out there and the pros and cons they offer. Some people need the structure a formal diet brings and I plan on offering the information needed so that they can find the diet that's right for them.

3. A podcast or radio show. I've been wanting to do a health and fitness radio show for SPP since I discovered Blog Talk Radio last summer. The one thing that 's been holding me up is that I don't have a land line or VOIP phone service. But I do have the ability to do a podcast which is basically a pre-recorded radio show. So look for that soon.

4. A bi/weekly or monthly series that focuses on a particular disease/illness that affects Black women. An example would be March would be Diabetes month and for the month of March I would do weekly pieces on Diabetes, what it is, how one gets it, how it affects Black women and what can be done about it.

That's just a few of my ideas for Sweet Potato Pie that I will be implementing in the coming months. I'm very passionate about the issue of Black women and their health. We have to be better stewards of out bodies and our health and Sweet Potato Pie seeks to be a place where Black women can get the information they need to make that happen. So if you've enjoyed SPP so far, stay tuned, there is so much more coming in the future.

Today is a new day. So what are you waiting for?

1 comments:

Nona said...

Your plans sound fantastic!!!

Welcome Miranda!!! Always glad to read another perspective on the issue of health in relation to weight.